Study favours full-day classes for 4 and 5 year olds
CTV.ca News Staff
Date: Monday Aug. 30, 2010 8:52 AM ET
A new study says that Ontario's decision to extend kindergarten from half- to full-school days will provide a boost to the provincial economy as well as the education system.
The study shows that funding full-day kindergarten "provides a greater economic benefit than any other government spending." [And therefore we should do it? What sense does that make?] Apparently, "every $1 million spent on early learning and childcare creates 29.3 jobs – a third more than created by $1 million spent on roads and infrastructure." [And therefore we should extend prison hours for young children?]
I guess you can see what side of the fence I sit on when it comes to extending the kindergarten day, but sheesh, this is really pushing the ludicrousness.
I keep having visions of Finnish children dancing through my head ... yes, the very kids who score highest of all OECD (Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development) countries but who don't start school til they're 7.
Julie
The study shows that funding full-day kindergarten "provides a greater economic benefit than any other government spending." [And therefore we should do it? What sense does that make?] Apparently, "every $1 million spent on early learning and childcare creates 29.3 jobs – a third more than created by $1 million spent on roads and infrastructure." [And therefore we should extend prison hours for young children?]
I guess you can see what side of the fence I sit on when it comes to extending the kindergarten day, but sheesh, this is really pushing the ludicrousness.I keep having visions of Finnish children dancing through my head ... yes, the very kids who score highest of all OECD (Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development) countries but who don't start school til they're 7.
Julie
1 comment:
Yeah, and I heard on CBC the other day that some people are complaining because our government can only afford to provide full day kindergaten to half the kids. It seems there are people that are buying the "greatness" of the idea.
Post a Comment
Whaddya think?