Sunday, June 6, 2010

Movies About Education, Teaching and Learning

I love movies about education and teaching! Probably because they're never about the ordinary kids and ordinary teachers in ordinary situations. Nope, they're about great kids with fantastic teachers in extraordinary situations — though often with great challenges from the mainstream system.

I thought I'd list some of my favourite education movies here, in case you ever need a pick-me-up as your child/ren's teacher/s! Hey, send in a comment and add your own favourites to the list!

By the way, most of these are decidedly NOT kid movies.

The Power of One - This movie always reminds me of Paulo Freire's famous quote, "Teaching is an act of love and courage."

Stand and Deliver - What love can achieve in a school setting — in Advanced Placement calculus class, no less! (Oh yeah, the teacher featured in this movie was from Cochabamba, Bolivia! There's even a statue of him there.)

To Sir With Love - The classic British teaching movie.

Dangerous Minds - Tough inner city school, makes our island life seem so blessed and idyllic.

Dead Poets Society - Robin Williams' best straight (versus comedic) role, really powerful story.

School of Rock - Teaching was never so much fun!

Mona Lisa Smile - A look at a different era, and the challenges young women faced in the education system.

Karate Kid - For all you sports fans. I could watch this one over and over (and did ;-).






Ferris Bueller's Day Off - I skipped one day during my high school years — and I can still remember every detail of it!

Mr. Holland's Opus - Mostly feel good, and a fun music movie.

**Music of the Heart - Fluffy, feel good, true story — and great violin music!

**The Miracle Worker - The inspiring true story of Helen Keller and her teacher, Annie Sullivan.

Freedom Writers - Cool movie about non-writers becoming writers.

**The Diary of Anne Frank - Homeschooling under difficult circumstances, through the eyes of a 14 year old.

Pay It Forward - It all started with an assignment at school.



** Movies that I own, if you want to borrow them. (Though some are on video ... remember videos?)

2 comments:

SoundHunter said...

Pippi Longstocking was the orignally unschooler, I have all of the movies digitized if anyone wants them and provides a blank disc, and of course, doesn't mind some pirate action :)

GreenHearted said...

I didn't know that Pippi was a homeschooler!! Cool.

Post a Comment

Whaddya think?