Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What's that Bug???

Hi everyone,

And here is my first post on our Spring Leaves' blog!!

The kids and I explored some stagnant water (collecting on a pool cover at Currents at Otter Bay). With dip nets and skimmers the kids scooped in hopes to find tadpoles which were rumoured to have inhabited the water. Unfortunately, we found no tadpoles but did find many other interesting swimming bugs and larvae.

We have used a really cool website before, and will do so again for identifying the pool bugs. It is called http://www.whatsthatbug.com/. Not only is it great for identifying insects, but it also promotes respect to all bugs, even the ugliest creepiest crawlies around. You can also send them your bug pics in case you need help in the identification process. But remember, no unnecessary carnage, as they call it — it is a squash free zone! :)

Have fun!!!

Joanne and the gang

3 comments:

GreenHearted said...

Joanne, very cool resource! Thanks so much for sharing this. I love websites with lots of photos and examples.
Julie

GreenHearted said...

I forgot to tell you that I was almost 50 before I learned the difference between a bug and an insect. Here's an explanation from another neat website called General Facts about Insects and Bugs (http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=4628):

Q: Is there a difference between an insect and a bug?
A: Yes, there is a difference.

• A bug is a certain type of insect. Some examples you might be familiar with are the boxelder bug, milkweed bug, assassin bug, and stink bug.

• True bugs have a stylet (a mouth shaped like a straw) that they use to suck plant juices from plants. The assassin bugs use their stylets to suck blood from other insects.

• The front wings of true bugs are thickened and colored near where they are attached to the insect's body, and are clearer and thinner towards the hind end of the wing. The hind wings are usually clear and tucked underneath the front wings.

There ya go! We can all learn something new every day.

A Day in the Life of the Grenona's said...

Cool. I'll never tire of learning new things. I can't tell you the things I've learned already, and Lauren's only in Kindergarten!!

Post a Comment

Whaddya think?