Earth Day is celebrated by many countries around the world. It is a day when we focus our attention on this wonderful planet we call our home. It is a time to think about all of the little things each of us can do to help care for our planet.
You might think that what you contribute isn't all that important. But I think I can show you how all the little bits fit together to make something much bigger and very impressive indeed.
I will be visiting your class the day before Earth Day and thought that we should make something to celebrate the plants and animals that live in the water, on the land, and in the air.
We are going to make a tile. I will be there to help you design your tile and I am looking forward to seeing what we all will make. In preparation for our project, I would like you to think about things we can use for texture on the tile. Some examples would be twigs, leaves or shells. These are things you can bring to the class.
Please remember that when we pot, we don't wear our best clothes, and short sleeves are good. Be ready to have some creative fun. Thank you for inviting me to work with you.Everyone got to make a tile. This happened while I (Julie) was away in South America, and I was astounded by the beauty of your tiles when Nancy brought them back in on May 19th for glazing. The process of glazing is much more difficult than it seems if you consider all the work that Nancy had to put into it beforehand.
Just today, Nancy sent the following message:
Hello Potters,
I loaded the kiln on Sunday afternoon and started the firing at 7 p.m. It continued to fire until 7 on Monday evening. During that time I was watching the temperature and raising it slowly until it reached 1165 degrees Celsius and then lowering it slowly until I was able to turn the kiln off. It cooled until this morning and I have just unloaded your tiles.
I think you will all be happy with the results. The tiles are beautiful and are a lovely tribute to Earth Day 2010.She also was thoughtful enough to send some photos of your tiles. Here's a great one of all of the tiles together. Superb work, Spring Leaves! Your tiles are inspiring reminders of the gifts we receive from the Earth — and the earth.
Many thanks, Nancy!

1 comment:
Wow the tiles look amazing!! And so does our Spring Leaves Blog!!!
Post a Comment
Whaddya think?